The tips below will help you protect the quality of groundwater.
- Plug wells that are deteriorated; cap wells that are in good condition but not in use.
- Limit the use of fertilizers – apply compost to lawn and other vegetation to improve moisture retention and promote plant growth without fertilizers.
- Properly dispose of chemicals.
- Do not dispose of chemicals or other substances into storm drains as this water empties into streams, rivers, and lakes untreated.
- Pick up dog waste during walks as the dog waste empties into storm drains and causes pollution to surface water.
- Take used motor oil to a recycling center.
- Use “environmentally safe” products such as phosphate-free detergents.
- Limit amount of nutrients discharged from farming/ranching operations.
- Properly design, locate, construct and maintain storage tanks and septic systems.